Labor Scare #2

It's getting around that time when labor is just around the corner.  I'm waiting for the second my water breaks.  I would like my water to break and to go into labor when the babies feel the timing is right, but the doctor's feel it is best to get the babies out no later than July 31st.  I guess I'm ok with that though because "uncomfortable" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel.

I have about 2-4 appointments each week now and for the most part they are going well.  On Monday I went in for my regular antepartum testing, and was scared to see that Wyatt's heart rate was decelerating instead of accelerating.  The nurse watched this go on for 20 minutes and she became increasingly agitated.  I could tell that was not normal, but did not know the urgency of the matter.

The nurse ripped off the long sheet of paper print out showing the heart rates and ran out to consult with a doctor.  When she came back she had a wheel chair and another nurse and they were coordinating taking me up to labor delivery and calling up there to let them know I was coming and to get a room ready.  Still, I thought they were just going to monitor me longer, I did not feel as scared as the nurses seemed.

They brought me upstairs and straight into a delivery room.  I asked if I could use the restroom and the nurse said "Well, be quick we need to get the monitor on."  Well that of course put the pressure on me and it took me longer to pee than normal.

I got into the bed and they had me put on a gown, then strapped me up to the monitor again.  By this time, 4 nurses were in there talking to me and about me.  One nurse said, "she looks ok." and the other one says "Well, that's because she is in shock."  I had NO idea what they were talking about so I said "Why am I in shock, what's going on?"  and then I started crying because I thought they were going to wheel me into surgery to get an emergency c-section and I hadn't even gotten a chance to talk to Evan yet.

All nurses left except for one, and she was wonderful.  She calmly explained that they were going to keep me overnight to monitor Wyatt's heart rate and if it decelerated any more they'd probably get them out right away.  I text Evan and he rushed out of work and to the hospital to be with me.

Over the next 7 hours, we sat around while they watched the babies.  They would not let me eat or drink and did not have me on an IV because they were waiting for the doctor to come see me and say whether or not the c-section was necessary.

A woman came in and did an ultrasound.  Wyatt wasn't moving much, which again was scary to see, but they said that he moved enough, he just doesn't have much room.  At the same time, Olivia was repeatedly kicking Wyatt in the head which I'm sure was not helping the situation at all.

As the night went on, I started to have contractions regularly which turned into contractions every 2 minutes.  My back was killing me, I just wanted to get out of there.  The doctor came in to see me and said that they'd let me go that night and were going to give me a shot to stop the contractions.  I figured I was having them due to dehydration and the nurse thought so too, but instead of letting me eat and drink they really wanted to give me the shot.  I refused so they brought a plate of food (I guess that's what you could call it) and two huge cups of water.  I chugged the water and had a bite to eat and sure enough the contractions went to 5 minutes apart and then to 10 minutes apart.

Finally the night wrapped up and we were allowed to go.  It was a stressful and exhausting day.  Evan and I were just happy that Wyatt's heart rate stabilized and we were safe to go home.

Since Monday I've been resting writing lessons and exercises for my new writing job and dealing with stupid car issues like not being able to open the door over my gas tank, driving until almost empty and coasting into my mechanic begging them to get it open for me.  Evan is working hard as usual and we are trying to enjoy our last week of be a couple without children.

It's an exciting time, we will keep everyone updated as the week goes on.

Love Bree and Evan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Showers...

Why I'm blogging again

Gender Reveal Video