Labor Scare #1

As you know, I go to Alta Bates hospital twice a week for quick testing to make sure everything is on track.  Well last Thursday I went in and the nurse got me all hooked up.  I had been having contractions all morning, but they felt pretty normal to me.  painful contractions but they were irregular.  From repeat visits and my control issues, I have forced the nurses to teach me what all the numbers on the screen mean and how to read the scribbly print out that they read.  So I'm sitting there watching my contractions show up on the print out and seeing the babies heart rates go out of control.  On top of that I can feel both babies inside me bouncing around like they're avoiding hot coals.

The babies heart rates are supposed to be in the 140's with regular spikes into the 160's that last about 15 seconds per spike.  On this day, the kids heart rates were in the 160's-170's and were spiking into the 180's, which is way too high.  Between that and my contractions, the nurse called the doctor on call and he sent me up to the labor triage area where they would watch me for an extended period of time.  First however, they did an ultrasound to make sure my water hadn't broken and that babies had enough fluid.  Everything looked good there, and the nurse printed out a couple of pictures for me (see below).  Up in triage, they kept me hooked up until the babies heart rates calmed down and they took naps which was about 2 hours.
Baby Girl on Top you can see her profile.  Baby boy on bottom and I think he is facing the camera.
In the end, everything was fine and they sent me home.  The doctor was comfortable with the fact that I come in regularly to be checked and that their heart rates had calmed down.  It was kind of a scary day though and when the nurses said that I might be in labor I said "No, I can't be.  I have to go grocery shopping today and my hospital bags aren't fully packed yet."  The nurse just looked at me like I was crazy.  So when I left the hospital I went grocery shopping and home to finish packing the hospital bags.  Now I'm feeling much more prepared.

Evan had to work tonight, but this morning he made me breakfast and then we grabbed coffee and went down to the beach for a while, Here are a couple of pics.  It was a beautiful day out.

Alameda Beach










 
Evan resting in the sun

Oh and in other news, I took a job with a woman who has a company that does Life Coaching.  Coaching is different from counseling in that it is not a regulated practice, therefore anyone can call themselves a coach.  Because of being unregulated, it is sometimes frowned upon in the counseling world, but it is work I can do until I get settled in San Diego and find a paid counseling internship.  The woman really liked me and until I am ready to take on clients after the babies are born, she is having me write content such as blog posts, newsletters, lesson plans etc. for the company.  She is paying me per project I complete, so I am excited to knock out some projects for her.  Coaching is great money, I set my own schedule, and work from home so this is a really great opportunity for us right now!  

Lots of love, 
Bree and Evan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Showers...

Why I'm blogging again

Gender Reveal Video