April Showers...

April has been an exceptionally trying month for me, which you can tell from me putting aside the things I "like" to do for the things I "have" to do.  I have missed blogging and keeping you all updated on our lives.

At the end of March, I took an exam that would decide whether or not I would graduate in June.  I finally got the results back last week, and I passed!  I passed with 13 points higher than the national average, so I was proud of that and felt a huge relief.  I have also had several large projects due in April, they're not all complete yet, but close.  All will be smooth sailing once April is over... Until August of course.

On April 12th, Evan and I made the 8 hour roadtrip down to San Diego for our first baby shower!  The drive actually was not bad until we reached the northern side of the San Diego area, around Oceanside and Camp Pendelton.  Then we hit traffic, which was torture considering I knew how close we were to getting to our destination.  The trip took longer than normal due to traffic and to my having to stop every 45 minutes or so to use the restroom.  My bladder capacity must be 1/3 or less of what it used to be.

We arrived at my friend Nancy's house, threw our stuff inside and changed to get ready for a dinner out.  We ate at a restaurant called World Famous which sits right on the beach in Pacific Beach.  A few of my closest friends came and we had a blast!


My bedtime these days is around 9pm at the latest, so you can imagine after a long day of driving, and meeting up with old friends, I was ready to head home.  We made one final stop after dinner and got frozen yogurt and then to Nancy's to sleep.

My wonderful internal clock wakes me up each morning at 6, Evan does too because that's when he gets up for work, so no rest for the weary, we got up early to start the day.  I took Evan to a place by the beach to get an Acai bowl, which is my favorite southern California breakfast.  It's a bowl of blended Acai fruit topped with blueberries, bananas, mango, strawberries and granola then drizzled with honey.  We grabbed our breakfasts to go and sat on the beach wall to eat them.  I think that's a pretty good way to start the day!



We had a few other errands to run and then headed back to Nancy's to get ready for the big shower!

The shower was absolutely beautiful.  It was held at Chris and Diane's home - they are my friend Jessie's parents.  They had just recently finished refinishing their back yard and it looked like a picture out of my Coastal Living magazine.  Friends and friends parents arrived shortly after we did, it was so wonderful to see everyone!  Lots of hugs, lots of belly rubs, introductions and pictures.  The party was a bumble theme, and decorations were all yellow, white, gray and silver.  There were vases of bright yellow flowers everywhere, decorations were simple but elegant.

Evan and I were anxious from the moment we woke up that morning because we knew this day we would find out the gender of our little ones.  Only one friend at the party knew, so anticipation was growing for everyone as the party went on.  Finally at 2:30 we were told it was time to do the big reveal.

Evan and I stood behind the cake table and everyone crowded around us.  We thought that the cake or frosting color would give it away when we cut into the cake, but the cake was chocolate with white frosting... I looked up and said, "I don't get it!"  Tanya who had the cake made said, "Keep looking, you'll know when you find it."  So I kept nicely cutting out slices of the cake.  We got about half way through and still nothing, Tanya said, "Maybe you're cutting the pieces too big?"  So I started cutting them smaller, and then slicing all the pieces in half - at this point I had given up on keeping the cake edible.  Finally I came across a little pink plastic diaper pin, I pulled it out, showed Evan then held it up and said "it's a girl!!!"  The guests all clapped and laughed and then said, "Bree, there's two..." Oh, right.  So I went in digging with a purpose for the next one.  The second pin we pulled out was blue, we started laughing and Evan threw out a fist pump for his baby boy.

It took a second and then I realized what I had just found out, hugged and kissed Evan and we both teared up.  I lost it for a couple of minutes, but was instantly flooded with hugs and congratulations from my friends. Everyone was so happy for us!  I think Evan and I were in disbelief for a little while, but I just can't imagine anything more perfect.

We finished off the party with more food, drinks, gift opening and a couple of games.  All of a sudden the afternoon had slipped by and we were both exhausted.  The time flew, but I felt so lucky to have such amazing friends to put on a party like this for us.

Evan was perfect all day, he was chatting with everyone, and enjoying himself.  He kept checking in with me to see if I needed anything.  Every once in a while we would have a moment to look at one another and without even saying anything knew that we were both thinking "holy crap a boy and a girl?"

When people started to leave, we helped clean up and then headed back towards Nancy's house to our favorite old wine bar where we sat outside for the remainder of the night to finally have time to catch up with good conversation.  This also was the perfect stage for an intervention of sorts.  Our friends had us captive and were making a strong case for why we should move to San Diego.  Our response to give them an answer without giving them an answer was "you're right, we'll think about it."

Pictures of the shower will be posted at the bottom of the entry.

On Sunday we were up early again, so Evan and I headed into downtown to get coffee and walk around until we were meeting some friends for lunch.  We ate close to the ball park because Evan and I wanted to catch the Padres game.  We bought super cheap tickets, the stadium was relatively dead because it was drizzling out, so we were able to move from our nosebleed seats down into some pretty great seats between home and first.  The game was slow though, so we left after the 7th inning stretch.  I showed Evan all around the Gaslamp district of downtown which is where all the tourism and bars are at.  Around 5, we walked to my friend Christian's house where the rest of the crew joined us for dinner and drinks for a final goodbye because we were hitting the road early on Monday.

It was sad to have to say goodbye to everyone.  I've missed them over the past two years, and it felt so normal - as if no time had passed to be back in the groove of things there.

The report is that they all "approve" of Evan, they thought he was so fun and nice and easy to be around - he fit in well with everyone and they said they could tell how comfortable we were with one another.  That was nice to hear.

Upon returning home, we have been researching San Diego just like the other cities we have looked at moving to.  We check the job market, housing market, ease of raising a family, friend or family support, things to do, will it be pleasant for visitors... We'll just say that as of right now, San Diego is in the running.

There is probably a lot more to fill you in on, but I have to get to writing a paper.  Below are pictures from our trip to San Diego.  Enjoy!

Love Bree and Evan


Slide show of pics from the shower, if you're having a hard time with the video or want me to send you the individual pics, let me know and I'll shoot you an email.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm blogging again

Gender Reveal Video