Bumps and Bruises

A very smiley and exuberant little Wyatt was on the floor laughing and showing me the toy he was playing with.  I was at the table filling out paperwork to send to the hospital to request a refund for an appointment we paid for out of pocket but had coverage for.  (oh the irony)

Wyatt, practicing his new skill of pulling himself up on everything, grabbed onto the back of the dining room chair across from me and just as quick as I realized what was about to happen, he pulled the chair down on him.  Luckily our chairs are pretty light, but the back of the chair came down on him pretty hard. 

Wyatt started screaming in one of those, "I first stopped breathing and then let out a horrific cry" ways.  I threw the chair off him, grabbed him and held him against me, rocking him.  Poor little guy had two bloody nostrils. 

He wouldn't let me touch his nose, so of course my most "rational" mommy brain thinks:
  Is his nose broken?
  Omigosh is his FACE broken?
  Did his nose get pushed up into his brain?
  Did I break my baby?

I'm trying to settle him down, I'm trying to settle myself down, I'm trying to pay attention to Olivia who at this point realizes that Wyatt is getting more attention than her and in such situations feels it necessary to crawl all over me. 

His little nose only bled for a minute or so, but because he wouldn't let me touch his face, the blood just sat there drying and mocking me.

I put a cool cloth on Wyatt's forehead and watched for swelling, bruising, or disfiguration. 

It was very close to nap time, so I rocked Wyatt to sleep and laid him in the crib.  Olivia, not ready for a nap sits in the living room surveying her toys and choosing only her favorites to play with.

When I was pregnant, I envisioned padding the babies with bubble wrap and helmets so that they would never get hurt.  That's not super realistic, luckily babies are extremely resilient and squishy so falls like this one aren't as traumatic as they could be. 

As far as my feelings go, I keep telling myself that this is just the beginning falls, bloody noses, cuts, scrapes and bruises.  If kids don't explore and try things, they won't learn about the world around them.  Obviously I want to mitigate the blood and stitches, but no matter what kind of super mom you are, your kids are going to do their job of hurting themselves.  I may as well stop taking it personally now.

Love and band-aids
Bree 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Showers...

Why I'm blogging again

Gender Reveal Video